Friday, July 11, 2008

4th of July

On the 4th of July my wonderful girlfriend convinced me that it would be good practice for me to get up at 4:00 am and drive 45 minutes to run a 2 mile "fun run" while they ran a 10k. What was I thinking? I went along and in the heat and humidity I did my walk/run in 24 minutes. While I was waiting for my crazy friends to finish their run the sun got higher up in the sky and I saw 6 people have to be carted off in ambulances after they finished their run. Nothing fun about killing yourself. They did have a beer garden which we hit up after everyone was finished. I was home early enough to get ready to enjoy the festivities on our street.

As is our tradition on our street for several years we have the Neptune Parade which Pat is helping to coordinate. Wyatt was in it again for the 5th year in a row. He said that this year the police stopped the parade and asked to see their permit, which of course they do not nor have they ever had one. Finally after much chanting the officer let the parade carry on. We did pass out hot dogs to all the people in the parade, only so they wouldn't come back to our party later. Jeff and Carolyn had bacon wrapped hot dogs and shrimp tacos that were so good and went so fast. The marine layer came in and we could not see the fireworks, Wyatt and Zack sat and watched to sparks off the power line across the street. Happy Birthday America!

No comments: