Monday, September 29, 2008

Rosarito to . . .








Rosarito. I had psyched myself up all week that I would not be kidnapped in Mexico and that I was in good enough shape to ride the 50 miles to Ensanada. We got there Saturday morning , registered and were feeling really good about the race. 6,000 people you are bound to feed off that excitement. We met some veterans racers while Gloria's husband went to the front of the race to get out ahead of everyone. As we got on our bikes the race had started, my cushioned gel seat was feeling good, I noticed some horses that you could rent and ride along the beach and thought about how much fun it would be to ride along the beach. Right after the horses I see Gloria's husband standing holding his collar bone. Long story short he crashed into some slower riders fell onto his handle bars and broke his collar bone.
Gloria rand in her socks to find the paramedics while uncle Mike and I stayed with Chris. The paramedics came and wanted to life flight him to UCSD but they couldn't get the helicopter in because of all the people. The ambulance came and drove Chris and Gloria to the border then transfered him into another ambulance in the US and took him to UCSD hospital. Mike and I were left to get all four bikes back to the car, which for all of you who know me and my coordination it was a challenge at first. (I fell onto my bike when a kid jumped out wanting me to buy his candy)
Once we got the bikes onto the car Mike and I went to breakfast, I had to trade the beer and taco stops for a waffle with strawberries. It was still good, probably because I was so hungry. After we ate we knew the boarder line would be long so Uncle Mike took me over to the Rosaritio Beach Hotel and we walked out onto the peer. LOTS of people fishing and not caring if you were behind them when then cast out. After two hours of waiting we finally made it to the boarder check point and got back to the US. All in all I was in Mexico for FIVE hours. I am just glad that it wasn't worse.
I told you that to hear about my trip would be worth the wait.

No comments: